This summer I have an amazing, once in a life time opportunity to teach for two weeks in the country of Cambodia. I will be teaching Science in three different schools throughout the country. I, will a few other students and two professors, will be teaching and demonstrationg the principles of Bloom's Taxonomy to help students to learn more and teachers to teach better. Over the next few months I will be using my blog spot to document my journey to Cambodia.
Two months ago, I didn't even know where Cambodia was. I had heard of it through the Greve family at church. Ann Greve is a missionary to Cambodia and her brother and family go to my church. That was the extent of my knowledge of this country. As I have begun studying the history of this country and its people, I have developed a passion and burden for the people. I now have a chance to help change their path in life!
In 5 years, 2 MILLION people were killed in Cambodia for the simple fact that they were educated. This happened from 1975-1979. I was born in 1979, so I think that is why this really hits home with me. Things like Hitler's Holocaust seem more far removed because it happened before my life time; but, the Holocaust in Cambodia happened in my lifetime. Really, it wasn't until the past 10 years that many things have come out about this horrible time in Cambodia's history.
I have posted a link for the full details. Please take a chance to look at it at your convenience.
http://www.unitedhumanrights.org/Genocide/pol_pot.htm
Over the next few months I will be posting updates on my trip progress and specific things you can pray for.
I am currently writing my support letters. For the next two months, all money I make babysitting will be tax deductible and go directly to my trip. If you are interested in having me babysit (in the Springfield area!), please let me know soon as my calendar is filling up. I am also willing to go to churches in the area and share a presentation on Cambodia and my upcoming trip on a donation basis.
If you are interested in donating, please leave me a message and I will give you directions to do so. I will be sending out support letters in the next week. If you would like to help save postage and a tree or two, I can email/Facebook/Myspace you a copy of my support letter. I have NO problems sending out a hard copy if you would prefer that! :o)
Last weekend, I was able to raise $90 babysitting for my trip plus $10 from selling cookies at work. $100 down, $2400 more to go! We can do it!
God bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment